Friday, July 17, 2009

Fairly Easy--Entries at the Fair


A friend emailed me last week and asked for tips on entering her knitting at the fair. I am no expert, but I have entered flower arrangements the last two years and have had a bit of beginner's luck.

The first year I entered, I won the Bertha Johnson Best First Time Entrant award ($30) and last year in addition to winning 6 ribbons, I won the best of show for my arrangement of orange and yellow lilies (shown at the center in the top row in the photo above and left). I grew the orange lilies, my neighbor Darlene grew the yellow ones.

Anyone is welcome to enter the fair -- young and old, county resident or not. My kids always entered something when they were at home--embroidered pillow cases, a lego diorama, photographs, a bluebird house.


My winning entry in the Asian influence category (Darlene's lilies)

Here's the Beltrami County Fair website. Check out the premium list and pre-register online. Entry day is Wednesday of fair week from 11 am to 6 pm.

By the Numbers
  • Number of days the fair runs: Five - Wednesday through Sunday, July 29 through August 2
  • Cost to drive in and park at the fair: $5 daily/$10 season pass (parking is free on entry day)
  • Value of a first place ribbon in the flower arrangements class $8
  • Number of "dress an animal" contests held: three - dress a goat, dress a chicken, dress a cow (not to mention "paint a pig")
More Minnesota fairs:
Minnesota Federation of County Fairs


Advice from the Masters:
Entry Tips from Beltrami County Master Gardeners

No comments: